Sometimes it can be difficult to sort through the “noise” of parenting. Even without worrying about healthy teen relationships, the decisions are endless, the advice (both good and bad) is all-too-plentiful, and the constant barrage of input from social media, parenting books and magazines can have us feeling uneasy and not sure which direction to take.
As teen relationship abuse experts, we have dedicated our time and resources toward cutting through the noise regarding healthy teen relationships so you don’t have to. Below, we bring you the top 6 things your child needs to hear (and internalize) to give them a healthy foundation for relationships.
The 6 Things Your Child Needs to Hear:
- I love you exactly as you are
- You don’t have to change who you are to make someone else happy
- Boundaries are about showing the world you have self-respect
- You are worthy of love just as you are
- It shows your strength when you stand up for what you believe in
- Making mistakes is just a part of being human
Make it a point to tell your teen/young adult these things as often as you can. The more you repeat this (and model these beliefs and values), the better the chances your teen will have at forming healthy relationships.