When we’ve been paired up for quite some time, things can start to feel… well, a little stale. Over time, we get to know our partner inside and out – their habits, behaviors, and stories become predictable and there’s a lull in excitement as the days of getting to know each other have passed.
If your relationship has you feeling uninspired, you’re not alone. The good news is that, with a little creativity and some dedication to searching more deeply, you can uncover new things about your partner that you, and maybe even they, don’t know about. Here are 10 creative questions to inspire new communication and connect more deeply.
- If you could change a single moment in your childhood, what would you change? How would that impact who/where you are today?
- What is your version of a utopian world?
- What is one thing you would change about your surrounding community? What is your role in seeing that change come about?
- What is one of my traits that you feel best complements one of your traits?
- Do you feel you are living a meaningful life? Why/why not?
- What do you want your last words to be?
- You’ve commissioned an artist to paint a representation of your life. Describe the painting. What is the scene? What genre of art is it? What feeling does it invoke? Why does this painting best represent your life? Is there a particular artist you would commission? Why?
- Fill in the blanks: _____________ makes the world go round, _______________ brings it to a halt.
- Does your philosophy on life leave you feeling empty or fulfilled.
- If you were to create a currency based on what is most valuable to you, what would people be exchanging?
The next time you feel you know all there is to know about your partner, start with a few of these questions and see where the discussion takes you. We’re willing to bet you uncover something new about your partner and open up space to connect on a deeper level.
If you could use a little help bringing some life back into your relationship, coaching might be just what you need.